By: Bryce Conway
Disclosure: This post may contain references to products from our advertisers. We may receive compensation from products we link to. We appreciate your support.
Hi Travel Junkies,
Keeping up with the many acronyms used in the points/miles world can be difficult, particularly if you are new to all of this.
So I put together a quick reference list (in alphabetical order) of some of the most popular ones, complete with explanations of what each of them mean.
Here we go.
- 5/24: The Chase 5/24 Rule
- AAoA: Average age of Accounts. This refers to the average age of your credit accounts, which is a key component that goes into calculating your credit score.
- AF: Annual Fee
- AGC: American Express Gift Card
- AU: Authorized User
- BCP: Blue Cash Preferred (an American Express card)
- BOA: Bank of America
- BYODP: Be your own data point. Typically used when nobody knows the answer to a question. Much like saying “give it a try and let us know how it goes”.
- CB: Credit Bureau. The 3 major ones are Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion
- CK: Credit Karma (CreditKarma.com). This is a great way to monitor your Equifax and TransUnion credit reports. It is NOT a good way to check your FICO credit score.
- CL: Credit Limit
- CPP: Cents per Point. This refers to monetary value out of reward redemptions, calculated by dividing the cash value of a redemption by the number of points/miles required to book it.
- CSR: Customer Service Representative or Chase Sapphire Reserve
- CSP: Chase Sapphire Preferred
- DP: Data Point. Typically used in a sentence such as “we are seeing many DPs that this method works”.
- FF: Frequent Flyer
- FTF (or FX): Foreign Transaction Fees
- HH: Hilton Honors Program
- HUCA: Hang up call again. Typically used when making a reconsideration call (defined below) regarding a credit card application. HUCA is basically another way of saying “try again if you don’t get the result you liked”.
- IHG: Intercontinental Hotel Group
- MR: American Express Membership Rewards
- OV: One Vanilla, a type of Visa gift card
- PRG: Premier Rewards Gold (an American Express card)
- Recon: A reconsideration call where you attempt to overturn a credit card denial.
- SM: Secure message. Typically the most convenient way to contact a bank.
- SPG: Starwood Preferred Guest (a hotel loyalty program)
- T&C: Terms and Conditions
- TYP: Citi ThankYou Points
- UR: Chases Ultimate Rewards
- VGC: Visa Gift Card
- YMMV: Your Miles May Vary. Which is another way of saying “different results for different people”.
Feel free to email me (Bryce[at]10xTravel[dot]com) with any that we may have missed!