Note: Some of the offers mentioned below may have changed or are no longer be available. You can view current offers here.
Hi Travel Junkies,
Big news this morning regarding the Southwest credit cards.
The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier, and Southwest Priority Card all now have signup bonuses of 30,000 points + a Southwest Companion Pass (valid through 12/31/19) after $4,000 spend in the first 3 months.
My gut reaction to hearing this news was “hell yeah!” but as I think about it more there are pros and cons.
Here are a few thoughts:
- This is great news for anyone who wants a Companion Pass who were not able to get approved for the Southwest Rapid Rewards Business Card. Now one single card bonus will earn that perk.
- This is not good news for anyone who has already been approved for the Southwest Business card with plans to get one of the personal cards (though it is not terrible news either) because the bonus mile offer has been reduced from 60k to 30k.
- Note that the Companion Pass earned from this bonus is only valid through 12/31/19. So earning Companion Pass with a combo of the personal and biz card is still a much better move, as it will result in a Companion Pass valid through 12/31/2020.
Few other things to note:
- You need to be under 5/24 to get any of these offers + not received a Southwest bonus on a personal card in the last 24 months
- This new offer is only valid through 2/11/19, so don’t delay if you want it
- The Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus card seems to make the most sense because it has the lowest annual fee (and they all have the same bonus anyway)
I am curious to see the long term impact this has on the points/miles world. The Companion Pass has always been a popular move among true points junkies but this now brings it into the mainstream.
This also tells me that Southwest is not overly concerned about people earning Companion Pass without actually flying on Southwest. Which I believe is good news for our world.
As always, feel free to comment or email me with questions.
10xTravel is part of an affiliate sales network and receives compensation for sending traffic to partner sites, such as CreditCards.com. This compensation may impact how and where links appear on this site. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers.
Editors Note: Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of any bank, credit card issuer, hotel, airline, or other entity. This content has not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of the entities included within the post.